Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Score of my Heart

Have you ever been so touched by something someone has done for you it makes your heart swell so much you think it may burst through your chest cavity? This has happened to me recently. Several times, actually, but one in particular kind act has completely melted my heart.

During a very early on conversation with Henry, whilst I was drinking my nightly Mint Medley tea on a break from my mothers hospital room, our conversation went to music. I was explaining to him how much I enjoyed movie scores. He asked about my favorite score, to which I replied Thomas Newman's Fried Green Tomatoes. I explained how I had once owned it, but had lost the CD years ago. I told him about how I still have the CD case, but no CD. This particular score has been out of print for several years and has been quite difficult to chase down. Even though this part of our conversation was brief, Henry stored this information. We continued our chatter for a bit, but with it becoming late we said our good-byes and I promised to get online via web cam to say good night before turning in.

When I got settled I turned the web cam on and had yahoo chat up to say good night. As Henry watched me he typed to me that after we had hung up and I was back on my way to my mother's room, he had found and purchased (online) the score to Fried Green Tomatoes. I was shocked. And impressed. He brought tears to my eyes in that one gesture of listening and remembering something that I loved. He knew that it would make me happy to have a copy of this CD. He made me smile. I wanted to crawl through the web cam to hug him so badly. I went to bed with that smile planted firmly on my face and the warmest feeling in my heart.

Tonight Henry gave me that CD. There was no pomp and circumstance, he merely handed me the CD. I don't think he realized how full my heart was at that moment. I'm not even sure he understands how much it means to me that he took the time and the money to get me that CD. I'm admittedly not the best at showing gratitude in the moment, as it's foreign to have people do such incredibly sweet things to or for me. I'm not always sure how to react or behave. I took the CD and placed it in my purse. But I will have you know, I felt loved. I felt cared about. And I really felt like jumping up and down and yelling, "YEAAAA!!!!!" because I was so happy.

I will fall asleep shortly with this score in my ear, a smile on my face, comfort in my soul, and love in my heart.

2 comments:

clew said...

Treats like this are rare. I'm smiling with you :)

Whistle Stop Cindy said...

:) He makes me so happy!